If you’ve just adopted an adorable new furry family member, proper obedience and dog training are all things that are probably racing through your mind, but how do you do it right? Training can easily be overwhelming for many parents of an energy-filled puppy, which is why the experts at Julius-K9 want to share with you some tips and tricks you need to know when it comes to agility training your pup. We are an online dog supply store able to sell and ship collars, leashes, or even a personalized dog harness across the US. We are the trusted brand many officers rely on for harnesses and other pieces of dog equipment their police dogs need.
Why Train your Dog?
Many people believe that training your dog is simply about obedience and nothing more, but that’s not entirely true. In fact, there are many different benefits to effective training that not only benefits the handler-dog relationship, but also the dog’s mental health and well-being. Here’s more info on the topic:
- Build a relationship
- Effective training is a fantastic way for a handler to build a positive relationship with their four-legged friend. It helps you establish yourself as the ‘pack leader’ of sorts, and it allows you to build a strong connection with your dog that includes loyalty and mutual respect.
- Physical and mental stimulation
- Learning different tricks and training your dogs agility are both things that keep them physically and mentally active. Regular training helps them stay entertained, develop their brains, and improve problem-solving skills.
- Great for life and social skills
- Training helps your dog understand things like what is acceptable and what is not acceptable, much the same as raising a child. This helps your growing pup learn how to behave in different situations without either causing you stress, or them being stressed from punishments. In addition, it also helps dogs become more sociable and friendly with other dogs.
- Allows you to communicate with your dog
- When training your dog, you’re creating a language between the two of you. We are each two different creates with two different innate languages, but training helps you build a bridge between them. Effective training can help your dog understand your intentions so they understand what it is you expect of them in a given situation.
Tips for Dog Training for Agility
When it comes to starting the training yourself, an experienced trainer can help you build a standard and expectation, but it’s important to understand these basics:
- Use clear and consistent cues
- Remember that you’re trying to send a message across a language barrier, so it’s important for your dog to learn your cues and what they mean. Clarity is the most important factor.
- Consider the placement of rewards
- Depending on what you’re training, the placement of your rewards can work in your favor. For example, if you want to train your dog’s acceleration, throwing a treat helps incentivise them to move quickly. For deceleration, instead hold your treat close to you and have your dog come to you.
- Repetition is key
- As the saying goes, “Rome wasn’t built in a day.” Effective training requires consistency and repetition to succeed.
- Never take out anger on your dog
- Taking out anger and frustration on your dog can teach your dog fear, and fear has been shown to be inconsistent in long-term behaviors, as well as is just not very nice.
For A Personalized Dog Harness, Contact Us
If you’re excited to get started with dog training your furry family member, you may need dog supplies like a new, personalized dog harness or collar. We at Julius-K9 can supply dog owners across the US through our online store, so contact us today to learn more about our products.